By Kopi Hang Tuah
POLITICAL propaganda has proven, at numerous times, to be a powerful weapon, even more powerful than the nucklear bomb, in destroying civilisations.
I can give many examples but to name a few, Hitler’s Nazi and Zionism are two very good examples.
In extreme cases propaganda involves outright lies and in mild cases it involves reporting incomplete facts in an unfair context.
As a result, many readers, the general public at large, have been infected with a disease that makes them believe propagandas 100%.
This disease is akin to the infamous Hollywood myth… the Zombies. I fear that Zombism has reached our shores.
We must act fast to battle this. Or else, our civilisation will be destroyed before our eyes. In my observations of this phenomenon, I have identified some guidances on how to protect (or recover) from the so called Zombism – 10 points to be exact. Let us try my methods.
Hopefully we do not have to change the country’s name to Zombisia. Here are my suggestions:
1. Adopt “Innocent Until Proven Guilty” mindset when assessing anyone. If we suddenly want to be Islamic then this is the best way to not Fitnah (Accuse Without Evidence).
2. Do not conclude when you do not have adequate substantiated and complete credible information that are relevant to the quest to conclude. That is mouthful but essential really: Adequate, Substantiated, Complete, Credible and Relevant.
3. Nobody is without fault. So, if you feel strongly that you cannot believe the Government 100%, you ought to also give the same skepticism to the Opposition. Why? Because both have the same mission and objectives – i.e. to gain political mileage.
4. You need to acquire the relevant knowledge to put matters into fairly comprehensible set of information before making judgment. If you do not have the knowledge, then be resourceful enough to procure advice from those who do have knowledge. Go and consult bloody accountants, lawyers, bankers and wankers if you must. In most cases, the press conveys messages that do not adhere to the basic premise of a particular subject matter.
5. Always assume that the newspaper headlines are deceiving. I have worked in a newspaper company so I know that the editors will put whatever is necessary to attract readers. Often what you read in the body of an article portrays differently from the vibes that radiate out of the headlines. In many cases, even the body of the article is infested with off tangent and out of context statements. Internet and social media are even worse at this because there are so many Keyboard Warriors…. a.k.a. Zombies.
6. To give the “Benefit of the Doubt” is a virtue. When someone is chosen by the public to lead the people, surely the chosen ones are with essential characters worthy of being chosen in the first place. Yes true we do not have enough evidence to prove that the chosen ones are telling the truth all the time but are we with evidence to conclude that he or she is telling a lie?
7. Put yourself in other people’s shoes. If you imagine that you are the accused, you will realise that there are so many ways to skin a cat… in this case, to skin a politician. Remember that it is him or her alone against the rest of the country. How would you have handled the situation?
8. We are not judges. We have long time ago delegated that role to the system we chose to govern our country when we tick our votes during General Elections. In our case it is the Constitutional Monarchy. Be clear and intelligent to understand this. The Parliament is the legislator that consists of representatives that you have chosen. The Government will then implement what the legislators have passed. When there is something wrong with the implementation, the Judiciary lot will judge. This is the order we need to respect. Or else we will face chaos and possibly riots.
9. Think long term and not short term. Sometimes a policy does not have favourable effects on you but that does not mean that it is not the right thing to do for the country. Look at the future. Look at the larger scheme of things. Look at the spirit of why it was deviced. It is ok to lose a battle for the sake of winning the war.
10. Do not react to matters based on emotions, anger and the most common one, because you have embraced Zombism.